Asbestos Surveying SurveyingSurveying
Specialists since 2002
Established in 2002, Cabot Thermals Ltd (Surveying Division) offers independent and impartial advice on sampling, surveying and asbestos management.
Based in Bristol we have easy access to the South West and Wales and further afield. We carry out a wide range of surveys from communal areas within residential housing for landlords, small building works and large scale surveys for National builders, Universities and NHS Trusts.
Under the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012 (CAR) the duty holder is required to:
- Take reasonable steps to find out if there are materials containing asbestos in non-domestic premises, and if so, its amount, where it is and what condition it is in;
- Presume materials contain asbestos unless there is strong evidence that they do not;
- Make, and keep up-to-date, a record of the location and condition of the asbestos containing materials – or materials which are presumed to contain asbestos;
- Assess the risk of anyone being exposed to fibres from the materials identified;
- Prepare a plan that sets out in detail how the risks from these materials will be managed;
- Take the necessary steps to put the plan into action;
- Periodically review and monitor the plan and the arrangements to act on it so that the plan remains relevant and up-to-date; and
- Provide information on the location and condition of the materials to anyone who is liable to work on or disturb them.
The duty to manage covers all non-domestic premises. Such premises include all industrial, commercial or public buildings such as factories, warehouses, offices, shops, hospitals and schools.
Non-domestic premises also include those ‘common’ areas of certain domestic premises: purpose-built flats or houses converted into flats. The common areas of such domestic premises might include foyers, corridors, lifts and lift-shafts, staircases, roof spaces, gardens, yards, outhouses and garages – but would not include the flat itself.
Such common areas would not include rooms within a private residence that are shared by more than one household such as bathrooms, kitchens etc in shared houses and communal dining rooms and lounges in sheltered accommodation.
Cabot Thermals Ltd offer impartial expert advice on all aspects of asbestos management.
All surveys are carried out in compliance with the government standard “HSG 264 Asbestos: The Survey Guide”
All our surveyors are BOHS P402 qualified as a minimum with their backgrounds coming from the asbestos industry. This ensures all our surveys are technically correct.
The completed survey contains details on the location, product type, quantity or extent, asbestos type, accessibility, condition, and surface treatment of all ACM’s identified or presumed along with photographic evidence, floor plans and a recommended course of action, allowing for a management plan to be implemented. You will receive a electronic PDF copy for you records and if requested a hardcopy can be sent out.
The Management Survey purpose is required to manage ACM during the normal occupation and use of premises.
A Management Survey aims to ensure that:
- Nobody is harmed by the continuing presence of ACM in the premises or equipment;
- That the ACM remain in good condition; and
- That nobody disturbs it accidentally.
The Survey must locate ACM that could be damaged or disturbed by normal activities, by foreseeable maintenance, or by installing new equipment. It involves minor intrusion and minor asbestos disturbance to make a Materials Assessment. This shows the ability of ACM, if disturbed, to release fibres into the air. It guides the client, eg in prioritising any remedial work.
The Refurbishment / demolition Survey is required where the premises, or part of it, need upgrading, refurbishment or demolition. The Survey does not need a record of the ACM condition.
A Refurbishment / demolition Survey aims to ensure that:
- Nobody will be harmed by work on ACM in the premises or equipment;
- Such work will be done by the right contractor in the right way.
The Survey must locate and identify all ACM before any structural work begins at a stated location or on stated equipment at the premises. It involves destructive inspection and asbestos disturbance. The area surveyed must be vacated.
We offer a cost effective, bespoke sampling service whether it be a single textured coated ceiling in a domestic property to an uncovered suspicious material on a building site. We can sample any material and have it analysed for any asbestos content. We pride ourselves on a fast efficient service, where necessary same day results can be obtained. (limitation apply) Please contact us to discuss your needs.
All inspections are tailored to meet your needs, so please give us a call to discuss, we can then provide you with impartial advice on the most appropriate option, whether it be a simple sampling strategy, management report or full Refurbishment / Demolition survey.